In this episode, the second in our Career Development Series with IQ Workforce, the tables are turned on Beyond Web Analytics team as Corry Prohens asks the team and guest Scott Calise of MTV the tough questions that job seekers and candidates ask him on a daily basis. Listen in as the podcast explores the questions below:
- If you have a background in some related area and would like to know how to break into web analytics.
- If you are thinking about starting a career as an independent consultant in the digital measurement space, can you tell me what some of the biggest pluses and minuses would be if I move in this direction? Will it hurt my career path if I decide to move back to a full-time job? How hard is it to find new engagements?
- I am looking for some part-time work that I can do on nights and weekends. Is there a demand for web analysts on a part-time basis? If so, how do I get one of these gigs?
- I am currently doing one aspect of digital measurement (site analytics, display, search, social, etc.) and would like to broaden my skill set. What should I be learning? What is going to benefit my career the most?
- I am doing interesting work, I am well respected in my company, my work is cutting edge and I like the people that I work with… but I am underpaid. Can you find me another position that will pay me more?
- I live in a small city where there is not much of a digital marketing community. What can I do to create career opportunities for myself? How hard is it to find remote / virtual office jobs? Are companies generally open to relocating digital measurement professionals?
- How long do I have to be with my employer before moving on? I have left companies in the past rather quickly and I am worried about being viewed as a “job hopper”.
Hosts: Adam Greco, Rudi Shumpert, Gary Angel
Guest Hosts: Scott Calise, Corry Prohens
Corry Prohens is President of IQ Workforce and one of the leading Web Analytics and Digital Media recruiters in the country. As an active member of the Web Analytics Association and SEMPO, Corry and his team are active in the professional communities that they serve. They sponsor and speak at web analytics and search marketing events, host several leading blogs, publish the bi-weekly IQ Blast and conduct quarterly industry research. As recruiters they have developed an unusually robust network of clients and candidates globally. Analytics disciplines are becoming increasingly interwoven. Corry’s team is at the forefront of this evolution in the US, UK, EU and Australia, providing access to some of the hardest-to-find talent in the marketplace.
IQ Workforce Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/WebAnalyticsContractors
IQ Workforce Career Center: http://www.iqworkforcecareercenter.com/
Note: The sound clips used in this podcast were used under license.
Burnkit2600 / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
This was my first time tuning in and I really enjoyed the podcast, and gained a lot of insight from the discussion. I am a freelance web designer with SEM experience, and I liked hearing the different opinions. Thanks